Friday, November 14, 2008

Elevator Manners

I work in a lovely building downtown that overlooks the river and it is just wonderful. It is the type of building that decorates the whole inside like it is winter wonderland for Christmas. We have a restaurant, salon, jewelry store, and people constantly coming in and out. Everyone looking like they are important type of a place….point blank it is a nice building.

Now of course in such a wonderful building where there are so many people and floors….there comes some not so wonderful parts of this building. Now, I work on the 10th floor of the building. You are probably thinking no big deal…right? It wasn’t a big deal at all. Except, when you have to get to work and you have to leave work. The only way to get to your floor is up the elevator.

Now, this is where it all begins. Elevator manners (one on one with Elise). I know that our parents taught us respect and some types of manors growing up. I think we should keep in consideration that we should start our kids at an early age on how to use Elevator manners.

1) Do not spray yourself with gallons of cologne and then walk on an elevator: I know you want to be Rico Suave, but dude seriously I can smell you a mile away and in the elevator the smell is going no where. You should know that after you get off the elevator and you get on 4hrs later and it still smells like a cologne bottle broke in there, that you are putting waaaaayyyyyy too much on in the morning.
2) Holding the elevator: I agree when you are on the bottom floor and you see someone running a hundred yard dash while holding coffee and dropping papers everywhere you should hold the elevator and let them on. BUT this should be the rule of thumb- If you are on the first floor and going up you don’t always have to hold the doors…but it is (what is the word) nice. It is nice to do, but not disrespectful. Now, if you are getting on the elevator and going to another floor…..do not hold the door open and have a conversation with someone. I have somewhere to be people….not here listening to two people figuring out their lunch schedule or if that other person is getting on the elevator with you.
3) Over Crowding the Elevators: This is the worst thing in the world. Just imaging….I am ready to go home. I have worked hard all day, I stressed about all the things I have to do when I get home, preparing myself for the horrible traffic I'm about to get into, I just can’t wait to get home and change my clothes, turn into mom and then I have to get on the elevator. Now, I know that there is a weight limit on the elevator and I truly think that people always use the weight amount as their “Should I Get On” for their decision. They seriously think to themselves….”Oh it is only 735lbs in the elevator and I only weight 165lbs so we should be good." It really isn’t! I am sorry guys if there are sooo many people on the elevator that the doors can’t close don’t keep shifting, don’t look around to see if you can figure a way to rearrange everyone, and don’t put your stuff in the air over our heads. Just wait for another elevator….it is only a couple of minutes away.
4) Covering the Floor Buttons: So I get on the elevator and some people have a tendency to push their floor button and not move. Not even ask what floor other people need to go on. So while we are trying to be respectful and somehow slip our arms around the person before missing our floor it now becomes……a twister game on the elevator. 10 people saying excuse me and reaching all around each other while this person is just standing there. Hello sir/ma’am, please enter your floor number and move out of the way.

1 comment:

Anna Lefler said...

If ONLY people would follow these rules - sheesh!

Hope you're having a lovely Thanskgiving...

:^) Anna